National Programme for Control of Blindness and Visual Impairment (NPCB&VI) was launched in the year 1976 as a 100 % centrally sponsored scheme with the goal to reduce the prevalence of blindness from 1.4 % to 0.3%.
As per survey 2001-2002 prevalence of blindness was estimated to be 1.1%. Rapid survey on avoidable blindness conducted under NPCB&VI during 2006-07 showed reduction in the prevalence of blindness from 1.1% (2001-02) to 1% (2006-07). Various activities/initiative undertaken during the five year plan under NPCB&VI are targeted towards achieving the goal of reducing the prevalence of blindness to 0.3% by the year 2020.
Blindness & Visual Impairment Survey (2015-19) conducted under the
programme showed reduction in the prevalence of the blindness from 1% (2006-07) to 0.36% (2019).
National Programme for Control of Blindness and Visual Impairment (NPCB&VI) is a comprehensive eye care programme addressing all causes of blindness and is being implemented all over the country uniformly.
Goal & Objective:-
· To reduce the backlog of blindness through identification and treatment of blind at primary, secondary and tertiary levels based on assessment of the overall burden of Visual Impairment in Bihar.
· Develop and strengthen the strategy of NPCB&VI for “Eye Health” and prevention of visual impairment through the provision of comprehensive eye care services & quality service delivery.
· Strengthening and up-gradation of RIO to become a centre of excellence in various Sub-Specialties of Ophthalmology.
· Strengthening the existing and developing additional human resources and infrastructure facilities for providing high-quality comprehensive eye care in all districts of Bihar.
· To enhance community awareness of importance of eye care and lay stress on preventive measures.
· To secure participation of Voluntary Organization/Private Practitioners in eye care.
The pattern of assistance under NPCB&VI can be found in the following link
Events / News
Ø National Eye Donation Fortnight
Ø World Sight Day
Ø World Glaucoma Week