ASHA- Accredited Social Health Activist is at the base of NRHM pyramid. In order to provide effective health care to the rural population, the National Health Mission (Govt. of India) proposed introduction of female health workers(ASHA) at village level for every 1000 Population . ASHA is intended to facilitate access to health services, mobilize communities to realize health rights and access entitlements and provide basic community level care, the other elements focus on promoting action by village level organizations and enhance people’s participation in service delivery.
Roles and Responsibilities
ASHA's Roles and Responsibilities in different health programmes
- Mobilizing, counseling and supporting the community to demand and seek health services.
- Supporting health service delivery through home visits, first-aid and immunization.
- Maintaining data and participating in community level health planning.
- Identifying and registering new pregnancies, birth and deaths.
- Community sensitization (health nutrition related government programmes).
- Overall ASHAs are getting Performance based Incentive in 52 activities under different National Health Mission Programs and One under AB-PMJAY.
ASHA Resource Centre, Bihar is functional for successful implementation of ASHA Program in Bihar. HR at different levels are as follows :-
- State Level- All Positions are filled up.
- State Program Officer-ARC
- Team Leader, ARC
- Deputy Programme Manager, ASHA
- Consultant Training –ASHA
- Consultant Documentation & Communication
- Accounts Assistant
- Data Assistant
- Divisional Level - 09 Divisional ASHA Coordinators are placed against the target of 9.
- District Level
- District Community Mobilizer - 11 DCMs are placed against 38.
- District Data Assistant (DDA)- 17 DDAs are placed against 38.
- Block Level- Block Community Mobilizer (BCM)- 438 BCMs are placed against the target of 534.
Selection & Training of ASHA
87438/ 93687 ASHA are selected till December 2020 in 38 districts and serving the community. Training Status of ASHAs:-
|Module||Type of Training||Target||No. of ASHA Trained||% of ASHA Trained|
|Module 2, 3, 4||Non-Residential||74313||52859||71.13|
|Module 5,6 & 7||Phase –I|
Training of Module 5, 6 & 7 is completely based on Maternal and Neo-natal health. It is a residential training comprising of 24 days spread into 4 phases (6 days for each phase).
Induction Training – Newly Selected ASHA from September 2015 will be trained in Induction Training.
To be effective in Home visits in order to reduce in Neonatal mortality ASHAs are provided with Neo-Natal Kits/HBNC Kits.
Till date 82272 ASHA is with HBNC kit.
ASHA Facilitator Training - ASHA Facilitators are ASHAs, who are better performing in their assigned work, having higher education, and can support 20 ASHAs. They are responsible to do on job training and supporting her 20 ASHAs in their fields. They do monthly reporting and hold meetings with their 20 ASHAs. 2 days residential training about Roles & responsibilities, HBNC, Supportive supervision & hand holding support to ASHAs in their working area are provided to ASHA Facilitators. 3735 are trained so far.
Procurement & Replenishment of ASHA Drug Kit – ASHAs are also working as a depot holder. In order to make their work easier 83624 ASHAs are provided with ASHA Drug kit in the Financial Year 2010-2011. Now a days essential drugs are being replenished by the respective PHCs.
Awards to ASHA’s/Link Workers - On the basis of their yearly performance,3 best performing ASHA are identified from every PHC and awarded by Rs. 1500/-, 1000/- ,Rs. 800/- and are given certificates as well.
ASHA`s on wheel - In order to increase the efficiency of ASHA and ASHA Facilitator, Bicycles have been provided to the all ASHAs of West Champaran district and al ASHA Facilitators of Bihar.
ASHA with CUG Sim- In order to make effective Communication CUG Sims are provided to the selected ASHA.
ASHA Sari - In order to motivate ASHAs, Every Year Rs. 1000/- is transferred to ASHA’s bank account for purchase of two Saries as Uniform
ASHA Rest room - In order to provide security and comfort of ASHA during night stay at health facilities while escorting patient to health facilities. 190 out of 209 ASHA Rest room/ASHA Ghar are functional till date.
ASHA. One ASHA Facilitator supports approximately 20 ASHAs in her working areas.
At present, ASHAs are getting 53 types of performance based incentives under National Health Mission in Bihar state. Apart from the incentives paid from NHM, ASHA and ASHA facilitators are also getting additional performance based incentive of Rs.1000/- per month from State Fund for Immunization, Child Health, Maternal Health, Family Planning etc. as per Resolution (Sankalp) no. 789(12), dated 09.08.2019 of Health Department GoB.
ASHA Payment System - 87438 ASHAs have been selected against total target of 93687 and 4253 ASHA Facilitators have been selected against total target of 4685 in Bihar. It is a major challenge to pay incentives to ASHA & ASHA Facilitators on time and also to maintain the transparency in the whole payment process.
Bihar State is going to pay Incentives to ASHA & ASHA Facilitators on time by State Level Centralized System through DBT (Direct Beneficiary Transfer) in their bank accounts from December 2020. This online payment system “Ashwin (ASHA Performance and Incentive Portal)” has been developed by NIC, Bihar with technical Inputs from ASHA Resource Centre, HMIS Cell, State Health Society Bihar and Care India and is hosted at http://ashwin.bih.nic.in.
- 1. Community Based Activities or Services &
- 2. Institution Based Activities or Services
Community based activities will be verified by ANM and Institution based activities will be verified by BCMs for PHC, RH & SDH and DCMs for District Hospital and Medical College & Hospital. After verification and approval of all activities/services performed by ASHA & ASHA Facilitator will be visible on BHM’s Login ID. BHM will forward their claims to MOI/C for final approval. MOI/C will approve or reject the claims. After approval from MOI/C, claims will be forwarded to the ASHA Resource Center’s Login ID. ASHA Resource Center, SHSB will forward the claims for payment to Finance cell, SHSB. After Digital Signature of designated Finance Person, the total approved Incentive amount will be transferred to the Bank account of ASHA and ASHA Facilitators through DBT.
Responsibility is fixed at every level for wrong claim entry & verification i.e. for ASHA, ASHA Facilitator, ANM, BCM, and BHM & DCM. Approving and Forwarding any wrong payment, concerned MOI/C will be responsible.
- Death Claim to ASHA - An initiative has been taken by the Govt. of Bihar to provide Rs. 4,00,000 (four lakh) to the nearest dependant of an ASHA after her death. Department of Heath Notification No. 12/ प0 - विविध - 08 - 43 2015/86 (12) पटना, दिनांक & 03.02.2016 issued in this regard. Rs. 12, 76, 00000 (Twelve Crore Seventy Six Lacs) provided by the State Government for 319 ASHA is allocated to the districts.
- Additional incentive of Rs. 1000/- (one thousand) per month - Additional performance based incentive of Rs. 1000/- per month to be provided to all eligible ASHA and ASHA Facilitator from State Fund. Department of Health Notification-12/प0 क0. 09-03/2019/789 (12 ) पटना dated- 09.08.2019 issued in this regard.
- i. ASHA & ASHA Facilitator Selection/Removal Guidelines
- ii. Incentive List of ASHA
- iii. Bihar Govt. Notification of Rs. 1000/- additional incentives of ASHA and ASHA Facilitator.
- iv. Bihar Govt. Notification of Rs. 4 Lacs death Claim.
- v. Ashwin Portal Guidelines for Payment of ASHA & ASHA Facilitator.
Brief Note and Key Beneficiaries
Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan Yojna
Govt. of India has introduced a pension scheme for unorganized worker aged between 18 to 40 years with a monthly income of Rs. 15000/- or below and hence, ASHAs & ASHA Facilitators in the specified age group are invariable eligible under this scheme. The scheme require self certification, 50% of the monthly contribution for the pension scheme will be contributed by the Central Government while the remaining 50% is to be contributed by the beneficiary. The beneficiaries under the scheme will receive a monthly pension of Rs. 3000/- per month after 60 years of age till death.
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojna
All ASHA & ASHA Facilitators are eligible under Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana. The annual premium for this scheme would be fully borne by the Central Government and this is not being funded under NHM. This scheme is for all bank account holders of age in between 18 to 50 years. It covers Life Insurance worth 2 lacs at just Rs. 330/- per annum. The premium will be deducted from the account holder’s saving bank account through auto debit facility. The person would be eligible to join the scheme through one saving bank account only.
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna
All ASHA & ASHA Facilitatora are eligible under Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojna. The annual premium for this scheme would be fully borne by the Central Government and this is not being funded under NHM. This scheme is for all bank account holders of age in between 18 to 70 years. It covers Accident Insurance worth Rs. 02 (two) lacs at just Rs.12/- per annum. The premium will be deducted from the account holder’s saving bank account through auto debit facility. The person would be eligible to join the scheme through one saving bank account only.
i. Film on ASHA
- ii. Selected Photographs
- i. Film on ASHA - Hinid
- ii. Selected Photographs -Hindi